In this program, your students will:
- Identify the traits that all mammals have in common.
- Explore the adaptations marine mammals must have in order to survive in the ocean.
- Evaluate human impacts on marine mammals’ ability to survive.
- Sea Sensations is a classroom-based experience designed to inspire students by diving into the colourful world of marine mammals. Students explore 4 stations with an extraordinary hands-on opportunity to explore marine mammals by observing, discussing, and touching live aquatic animals and artifacts from the comfort of our behind the scenes classroom.
- Through this experience, students discover that they can use all their senses to learn about animals. The program opens with identifying “what is a mammal”, followed by students dividing into smaller groups led by our expert educators. Each station includes artifacts such as whale bones, furs, blubber, and live invertebrate animals such as sea stars and sea urchins among much more. The program concludes with a conservation message and direct action plan for students to do their part in conserving the planet.
- Students will be able to identify the basic needs of living things, with special emphasis on whales, sea otters, seals, and sea lions. They will be able to describe how physical or behavioral adaptations meet those needs, and evaluate human impacts on organisms’ ability to survive.
View our school program FAQ for answers.