Who is this program for?
To be eligible, students must be taking part in a distributed learning or blended learning program, or be a home school family. Students enrolled in a traditional K-12 school are not eligible.
If you are uncertain if this criteria applies to you, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Home learner programs at the Vancouver Aquarium value immersive, active, and exploratory experiences that encourage students to think about marine science in a new way. Volunteers are integral in this process as they work with the coordinator to develop their skills in program planning with your specific students in mind.
How do I book a Home Learner Series?
Our programs are booked on our home learner website. On-site or on-the-day registration for the workshop is not available.
When booking, please have the following information available:
- Name of the participant(s)
- Birth day of participant(s)
- Parent/Guardian’s phone number and email address
- Phone number and name of two adults who are allowed to pick up the participant(s)
- Any information about the participant(s) learning style that you would like us to know
- Credit card information
For those associated with a home learner organization that pay for program fees, here are two ways to register. Please determine which method is preferred with your home laerner organizatio before booking.
1) Home Learner organization registers and pays on your behalf. Home learner organizations can create their own account, input your information, and pay online. The organization will receive a confirmation and receipt that they will need to pass on to you.
2) Register online and your home learner organization reimburses. Create your own account and enter your information including payment. You will then receive a confirmation email and receipt without having to go through a third party. Then, submit your receipt to your organization.
**Note that we are unable to process payment by cash, cheque, or invoice**
What does the cost of my program include?
- 3 x 90 minute workshops (once a month) designed by a team of trained educators
- Paper and/or electronic take-home activities after each workshop
- Access to a participant-only online platform
- Admission into the Vancouver Aquarium on the day of the program ($21 value for children; $38 value for adults)
Where do I meet for my program?
- Please check-in on the bridge outside the AquaQuest reception entrance 10 minutes prior to the start of your program
- There will be signage and volunteer(s) there directing you to the right spot
- Please do not wait in the reception area as it is a busy working space
What if I come early?
- If you come early, check in the main entrance (by the big statue). Admissions will have an attendance list of registered program participants.
- Any accompanying individuals who want to come into the Aquarium who are not registered for the program must use their membership or pay regular gate admission.
What should I bring?
On the first day:
- A copy of your receipt or confirmation (electronic is fine)
- Signed waiver form. The photo release form is optional.
- The ID of the parent or guardian who will be picking up the participant(s)
- Close-toed shoes (i.e. no flip flops). Participants wearing open-toed shoes may not be able to participate in all activities.
What if we’re running late on the day of our visit?
Participants who are more than 15 minutes late will not be admitted into the session.
What if I need to cancel my program?
Cancellations made within 48 hours of the FIRST date in the series will be subject to a 50% cancellation fee. Any further missed dates in the series will not be refunded nor rescheduled.
Where do my Program Fees go?
The Vancouver Aquarium is a non-profit society dedicated to the conservation of aquatic life. Our fees go towards maintaining the needed infrastructure of our top tier education programs, including: the care and feeding of the animals, maintaining the extensive physical demands of a heavily plumbed building, and retaining world class and highly educated biologists and teachers to engage your students. We keep our school program fees as low as possible, with our education department working just short of a cost recovery basis based on the requirements just listed. A full breakdown of the 2017 financial year for Ocean Wise and the Vancouver Aquarium can be found here.
Still Have More Questions?
For program logistics questions, please email email@example.com
For help with registering online, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 604-659-3552 (Monday to Friday, 8:30am-4:30pm)